Monday, May 3, 2010

SAMPLED (SUNDAY)

Sunday morning, on a whim i drove down to Cambridge to go to a Live Art Event at the Junction, "Junction Sampled: Live Art". The reason for doing so is that i still have not worked out my feelings towards Live Art, conceptually its immediacy and momentary nature makes perfect sense, but there are some aspects that really don't sit easy with me.

The event had been programmed very well, timings worked in such a way that no performances were missed - my body got ushered from one theatre to the next with helpful pauses in between for tea. I enjoyed being around a different group of people, usually at Art Events in Norwich i know a good number of people, i know who is going to be there - but this audience was new to me and very specific to Live Art, lots of people were performing throughout the event and they were very supportive of each other.

At first the event was just causing me more confusion, but as i began to see a range of performances, it became clearer why some aspects suit me and others don't.

Live Art that is not for me: the theatrical, rehearsed, things that involve a lot of tech support, lighting, music etc, over- elaborate, fussy, showy, spectacular.

Live Art that is for me: the momentary, durational, raw, unrehearsed, low tech, laborious, honest, action, immediate, basic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers